Save documents as a package or a single file in Pages, Numbers, or Keynote
If you experience app performance issues and you aren’t planning to send or store the document using a third-party (non-iCloud) Internet service, then save as package. Otherwise, it’s best to save as a single file.
Save as a package or a single file
If your document, spreadsheet, or presentation is 500 MB or larger you might see a message:
- Pages 5.5 or later: “Would you like to save this document as a package?”
- Numbers 3.5 or later: “Would you like to save this spreadsheet as a package?”
- Keynote 6.5 or later: “Would you like to save this presentation as a package?”
Choose Keep Single File if:
- You plan to send your document to an non-iCloud Internet service such as iTunes U, Dropbox, Gmail, or another site where you upload files through your web browser.
Choose Use Package if:
- You’re saving your document to your hard drive.
- You’re experiencing spinners or slow performance when editing your document.
You can switch between a single file and a package at any time. Open your file. Then choose File > Advanced > Change File Type and select the type you’d like to use.